Table of Contents
Earlier this year, we went through the work of hiring a new writer. I say work for good reason; there were 259 applications to sort through and only one of me to sort them.
As with anything involving that much time and effort, we learned a few things. Here’s a glimpse into the thought process of a hiring manager.
Things mentioned in this episode:
- CIG is Looking for an Awesome Writer!
- The application form’s questions #1
- The application form’s questions #2
- How to Crush Job Interviews (Ep. 183)
- Swim University
- Swim University YouTube channel
- Roasty Coffee
- Roasty Coffee YouTube channel
- Listen Money Matters
- How to Finish Homework FAST
- How to Stop Falling Behind on Your Homework
- Defy Gravity (Roxine’s website)
- Tom’s Impossible List
- Kurt Gödel
- Uncertainty principle
- James Joyce
- How to Go from Merely Good to Truly Great (Ep. 178)
- , by James Collins
- James Collins
- Charisma on Command YouTube channel
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Beardbrand YouTube channel
- Presentation by Eric Bandholz from Beardbrand
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:00:57 – How some members of the team were hired
- 0:04:07 – Reasons for hiring a new writer
- 0:06:36 – The questions and the form used in the hiring process
- 0:13:15 – Seemingly irrelevant questions and “weeding out” people
- 0:20:49 – Can we be great at something without having a knack for it?
- 0:24:56 – Don’t “shotgun” your resume to a lot of companies
- 0:27:25 – Ways to show showcase your experience in writing
- 0:34:50 – The initial “weed out” bullet points
- 0:38:20 – Handling rejection from a job opportunity
- 0:40:56 – The next steps of figuring out who to hire
- 0:47:04 – Ghostwriting and assigning the right tasks to employees
- 0:53:56 – Reasons for why would-be-employers might not respond to you
- 0:57:30 – Conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: