- Can individual organisms adapt Why or why not?
- How differences in genetics can change an organism’s ability to adapt to its environment?
- Can individual organisms evolve over their lifetimes?
- Can species change over time and adapt to their environment?
- What are some animal adaptations?
- What special powers do animals have?
- What tactics do animals use to stay alive and survive?
Can individual organisms adapt Why or why not?
Except in the form of learned behavior, adaptations achieved by individual organisms cannot be passed on to offspring. Less-adapted species are less perfectly attuned to a particular environment but may be better-suited to survive changes in that environment or to colonize new areas.
How differences in genetics can change an organism’s ability to adapt to its environment?
A population has genetic variations, possibly due to mutations. Favorable variations may allow an organism to be better adapted to its environment and survive to reproduce. Changes in the genetic makeup of a species may result in a new species; this is biological evolution.
Can individual organisms evolve over their lifetimes?
Individual organisms don’t evolve. These individuals generally survive and produce more offspring, thus passing their advantageous traits on to the next generation. Over time, the population changes.
Can species change over time and adapt to their environment?
Species can change over time in response to changes in environmental conditions through adaptation by natural selection acting over generations. Evolution results primarily from genetic variation of individuals in a species, competition for resources, and proliferation of organisms better able to survive and reproduce.
What are some animal adaptations?
Many animals have developed specific parts of the body adapted to survival in a certain environment. Among them are webbed feet, sharp claws, whiskers, sharp teeth, large beaks, wings, and hooves. In most aquatic animals, swimming is a must. To aid swimming, many animals have adapted and evolved with webbed feet.
What special powers do animals have?
Powers such as:
- Immortality. Animal: Jellyfish. You read that correctly.
- Body Liquification. Animal: Sea Cucumber.
- Blood Freezing. Animal: Wood Frog.
- Poison Gas Clouds. Animal: Dragon Millipede.
- Precognition. Animal: Dog.
- Ultrasound. Animal: Dolphin.
- Shooting Boiling Hot Water. Animal: Pistol Shrimp.
What tactics do animals use to stay alive and survive?
Survival skills are the techniques animals use to stay alive and safe. They include everything from protecting territories, using camouflage, teamwork, sharing resources, fleeing from danger, and methods of scaring and intimidating enemies.